Saturday, October 18, 2008

Folk art Dollmaking in Progress

Every once in awhile I get a desire to work on my unidentified art pile. This is a box of things I stopped working on , considered it a failure at the time , or just thought someday it will come to me what I`m suppose to make out of this object. This doll was one of those. It was a beginning prototype of a small waisted doll that was not what I was looking for at the time.



I started with the idea to make an undercoat out of a different color than what I usually do. I used blue.




I drew on the eye placement with pencil.



And decided I didn`t like the face and changed it. I knew layers of paint will eventually cover the old placement.



I painted the features in outline like a coloring book.



I add face paint working to make those lines disappear, yet still be there .


I added striped stockings and shoes, hands, etc.







I added an antique dress off of an old broken composition doll I had sitting around. She lives on my shelf with some other dolls.

2 comments:

Sylvia Anderson said...

Love this doll Melanee...she has such a serene quality about her. Very nice!

elizabeth ~ so wabi sabi said...

this is very cool Melanee...I've taken a stab at dollmaking a time or two. I love how you describe the face making process...that is always the hardest part for me because it is so critical to get that part right...great job!